It’s a weekend full of a few great events and a few great fundraisers. I think there is something for everyone!
- It’s opening weekend for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans! If you’ve never been, the games are a true family event. Even if you’re not that into baseball, the between-inning entertainment will keep you laughing and enjoying a nice afternoon or evening at the ballpark. On Friday, April 8th, and Saturday, April 9th, our Pelicans are playing the Wilmington Blue Rocks at 7:05 PM. On Sunday, April 10th, they are playing again at 3:05 PM. Saturday is a Kids Club game and Sunday is a Webkinz giveaway. Stay tuned to MyrtleBeachforFamilies.com for a write-up about the Pelicans and their promotions. They keep our family going all summer and are worth their own post!
- Battleship Alive – Do you have history or military buffs in your family? The Battleship North Carolina, docked in Wilmington, NC, about an hour’s drive from the Grand Strand, is having an event where World War II history interpreters will bring the ship to life by re-enacting daily duties & drills. The event is free with regular admission and you can find more information by visiting their website or calling (910) 251-5797.
- There are two programs at the Myrtle Beach State Park on Saturday, April 9, 2011. “Ring around the campfire” will teach happy campers some simple campfire recipes. The program is from 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM and costs $5 in addition to park admission. From 3:30 – 4:30 PM, there will be a “Snakes Alive!” program that explores the rumors and truths that give snakes their bad reputation. At the end of the program, you will have the opportunity to watch a snake devour a mouse. I’ve seen it and while it’s gross…it’s pretty cool. The cost of this program is $3 in addition to your park admission. For more information about these and all programs at the Myrtle Beach State Park, you can visit their website or give them a call at (843) 238-0874.
- The Building Futures Autism Clinic 5K and Dog Walk event is on Saturday, April 9th, beginning at 9:00 AM at the Market Common. This is a fundraiser for Autism Awareness in Horry County. For more information, visit their website.
- The American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life is taking place at Coastal Carolina University beginning at 7:00 PM on Friday, April 8th and concluding at 7:00 AM on Saturday, April 9th. Teams will walk throughout the night, raising money to help find a cure for cancer. Come support the walkers, make donations, honor someone you love afflicted by this disease or celebrate your own victory. It’s going to be such a heartwarming and uplifting event for an amazing cause.
Do you know of an event happening this weekend? Share it with us either in a comment on this blog post or on our Facebook page!
Want to read more? Check out the latest on the Myrtle Beach for Families blog.