Here are the highlights of happenings in the Grand Strand this coming weekend. Have fun and don’t forget to wear sunscreen!
- On Friday, June 10 from 2:00 to 9:00 PM, Horry County Fire and Rescue will be competing at Broadway at the Beach in the South Carolina State Firefighter’s Association Combat Challenge. Referred to as the “toughest two minutes in sports,” the challenge includes firefighters from all over the state, dressed from head-to-toe in full gear, racing to complete tasks. If you’ve got an aspiring little firefighter in your house, don’t miss this!
- Friday evenings through August 26th, the Market Common, located on Farrow Parkway in Myrtle Beach, will host “Music in the Streets” featuring musicians and free carriage rides from 6:00 – 9:00 PM! For more information, click here.
- Lowes Home Improvement is hosting a free kids’ “Build and Grow” clinic this weekend on Saturday, June 11th at 10:00 AM. The project is a goofy golf hole, which is a perfect Father’s Day gift! To sign up and get more information, you can click here. To find the location nearest you, click here.
- On Saturday, June 11th from 10:00 AM – noon, Michaels craft store is hosting a “Father’s Day Frame Make It and Take It” event. You purchase the frame and decorate it as a gift for Dad! On Sunday, June 12th from 1:00 – 3:00 PM there is a “Father’s Day Tie or T-shirt” event where you buy the t-shirt or tie and decorate it for Dad. Michaels is located at 504 Seaboard St and can be reached at (843) 448-0939 for more information.
- Babar’s World Tour comes to the Franklin G. Burroughs Simeon B. Chpain Art Museum, located at 3100 S. Ocean Blvd in Myrtle Beach, from 11:00 – 3:00 PM. Enjoy artwork featuring everyone’s favorite little elephant, Babar, as well as an adult writers workshop, yoga class, and snacks. Children can make a Babar mask, decorate a suitcase, and everyone leaves with a gold crown. Admission is free. For more information, call 238-2510.
- The Carolina Forest Performing Arts Academy is holding their annual show on Saturday, June 11th at 2:00 PM at the Beach Church Theatre. For more information, you can call 903-3898 or go to www.mycfdance.com. Break a leg, performers!
- The USS North Carolina, located just a short drive north in Wilmington, NC is hosting a 50th Anniversary Beach Music Festival on Saturday, June 11th beginning at 10:00 AM. Price of admission is $18 per person. There will be food, prizes, music and dancing! Featured bands include Mark Roberts and the Breeze, Jim Quick and the Coastline, Band of Oz, The Tams, Chairmen of the Board and The Embers. They are also holding a 50th Anniversary edition of Battleship 101. Volunteers will be available to engage with visitors about the history of the ship and its functions. This is free with admission to the USS North Carolina.
- On Sunday, June 12th, the Market Common in Myrtle Beach will host an “Eat Dessert First” shopping event! Couple shopping and dessert and you’ve got a marriage made in heaven! Stores throughout the Market Common will have samples of delish desserts from 6:00 – 8:00 PM. Click here for a list of participating stores. Yum!
Want to read more? Check out the latest on the Myrtle Beach for Families blog.