According to SCtax.org, the following types of items are excluded from sales tax from 12:01 a.m. on Friday, August 5th, through 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, August 7th:
- clothing accessories including, but not limited to, hats, scarves, hosiery, and handbags;
- school supplies including, but not limited to, pens, pencils, paper, binders, notebooks, books, bookbags, lunchboxes, and calculators;
- computers, printers and printer supplies, and computer software;
- bath wash clothes, blankets, bed spreads, bed linens, sheet sets, comforter sets, bath towels, shower curtains, bath rugs and mats, pillows, and pillow cases.
What is not included:
- sales of jewelry, cosmetics, eyewear, wallets, watches;
- sales of furniture;
- a sale of an item placed on layaway or similar deferred payment and delivery plan however described;
- rental of clothing or footwear;
- a sale or lease of an item for use in a trade or business.
Want to read more? Check out the latest on the Myrtle Beach for Families blog.